About Mansfield Woodhouse
Mansfield Woodhouse is a large village about 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) north of Mansfield itself, in Nottinghamshire, England, stretching alongside the main A60 road in a wide, low valley between the Rivers Maun and Meden. With a history dating back before the Romans, it is still noteworthy for its stone-built town centre.
Mansfield Woodhouse was a separate entity with its own UDC but after continuous development is now a large section within the larger Mansfield development area. Following a change in local government structure, in 1973 Mansfield Woodhouse and Warsop UDCs merged with the municipal borough of Mansfield to form a new council administration known as Mansfield District Council.
Mansfield Woodhouse's wealth was traditionally based on quarrying, mining, farming and textile industries.
The Romans had a fortress and a civilian settlement in the area (remains of a Roman villa were famously found here by Hayman Rooke in the 1780s). The area declined after the Romans left but by the 13th century there was a growing settlement of smallholders.
On 12 September 1304, fire completely destroyed Mansfield Woodhouse, including its timber-framed church. The town was rebuilt using local materials and the new stone-built church, dedicated to St. Edmund, still stands today.
The town recovered, and by Tudor times was home to a number of wealthy families. Farming and quarrying were the main livelihoods, and Mansfield Woodhouse also prospered with the growth of the textile and hosiery trades into the 19th century. One thing not commonly known about Mansfield Woodhouse is that locally quarried stone was used to build the Houses of Parliament. On the road to Edwinstowe stands the Parliament Oak, which, according to legend, was once the location of a session of Parliament held by the king. There is a plaque commemorating this.
During the UK miners' strike (1984-1985), Mansfield Woodhouse coal miners at nearby Sherwood Colliery broke the strike. This decision was made as part of the Nottinghamshire Union of Miners.[clarification needed] The pit closed in 1992. The Colliery's football and cricket teams still carry on today through Sherwood Colliery Football Club and Sherwood Colliery Cricket Club.
Visit our Facebook Page to see a collection of wonderful historic images of Mansfield Woodhouse, provided by Year 7 student James Clarke and his grandfather Alan Clarke.
Mansfield Woodhouse Today
The Village now has a population of over 18,000.
It has a number of schools; the larger primary schools are St. Edmund's Church of England Primary School, Northfield Primary and Nursery School, Peafield Lane Primary and Nursery School, Leas Park Junior School and Nettleworth Primary and Nursery School.
The largest school is Manor Academy, originally a grammar school (opened in 1959) it merged with Forest View Sec Mod (opened 1956) both at Park Hall Road and Yorke Street Sec Mod to form a comprehensive school opened in September 1973.
The Yorke Street building was approx a mile away to the south. After a major fire in 1996, the Park Hall Road buildings were enlarged during rebuilding to incorporate the former Yorke Street facility, which was sold for housing land. Near to the school is The Manor Sport and Recreation Centre, a public amenity which forms part of the school’s facilities.
The Co-op in Mansfield Woodhouse closed on 10 January 2009 and was replaced by a Morrisons store on 29 June 2009. The town is being redeveloped in other areas, including replacement of the older terraced housing around Thoresby Road, near the train station and from Sherwood Street–Blake Street with new housing estates. A new police station has served the town since 2007 but in late 2013 it was earmarked for possible closure by Nottinghamshire Police Commissioner, Paddy Tipping.
The town is served by Mansfield Woodhouse railway station, on the Robin Hood Line.